cupula.gif (96615 bytes)

Fifties to Seventies
Back Home

 

 

 

Pht7big.jpg (40098 bytes)

Courthouse Circa 1962 after the completion of wings

Pht13big.jpg (22039 bytes)

Central Business District, 1959

 

Back Home

Rutherford County was beginning to change from agrarian based economy to attracting many industries and manufacturing interests. The Courthouse and central business district experienced the most change. In 1951, Murfreesboro with an urban renewal project began removal of a slum area known as "The Bottom". Replacing this area was Broad Street connecting U.S. 41 from Murfreesboro to Nashville. Until then West College was then link to Nashville. The coming of industry caused Rutherford County’s population to skyrocket. Much of the retail activity shifted to shopping centers away from the Square. In the early 1960’s, wings on the north and south side of the Courthouse were completed. Additional office space was needed to accommodate the County’s growing need.

Pht8big.jpg (45371 bytes)

Court Square Area with West College leading to Nashville

Pht11big1.jpg (53744 bytes)

Early 1980's Before Mainstreet Revitalization Project