Rutherford County became organized October 25,
1803. Jefferson was named the county seat in honor of President Thomas Jefferson. The
community thrived due to its accessibility at the mouth of the Stones River. The early
Courthouse at Jefferson was built at a cost of twenty-five hundred dollars and was
completed in 1806. By 1811 the county had moved to a small village in the center of the
county at Cannonsburgh.
"CAPITAL OF TENNESSEE JUNE 1, 1818 TO APRIL 30, 1826"
The legislature renamed Cannonsburgh, Murfreesborough on
November 29, 1811. Captain William Lytle who wished to honor his friend, Colonel Hardy
Murfree, named Murfeesborough. In 1813, a Courthouse, jail, whipping post, and stocks were
completed and ready for occupancy; however, no pictures or descriptions of this building
exist. In 1817, Murfeesboro was recognized as an official city by the state legislature.
That next year, Murfreesboro became the capitol of Tennessee. The Courthouse housed the
state legislature until it burned in 1822.
Many recognizable politicians were legislators and began their career here:
James K. Polk, David Crockett and Sam Houston. A frequent visitor was Andrew Jackson who
announced his United States Senate in this Courthouse.